WordPress powers more than 74 Million sites on the Internet. In WordPress Web Hosting view, companies provide WordPress optimized packages to make sure they secure a large number of customers running their sites on WordPress.
From the user point of view, choosing a Hosting company for WordPress requires facts evaluation, such as choosing between Free or Paid services.
In this article, we have covered you. We are going to update your knowledge about choosing a perfect WordPress web Hosting service for the WordPress site. However, before we get into the matter, let’s have a look at the main characteristics of the best Hosting service.
Characteristics of a web hosting service
- Backup system: A Hosting package with Backup system protects your site by creating automated backups. The Backup option is a default one, or you can acquire it by using WordPress Plugins such as UpDraft Plus. Sometimes, you find the Backup option in the Hosting cPanel area or provided as an add-on service at the time you choose your Hosting package. The backup option is one of the most essential features of the WordPress Hosting, as it enables you to create and download backup files to the computer.
- Customer support service: Customer Support Service plays a vital role in building a Hosting company online. As WordPress is getting more powerful, users need technical assistance from the Hosting service, to develop and run their business sites properly. You can also find Hosting companies offering specialized WordPress support. This becomes vital in Hosting companies who are officially acknowledged or recommended by WordPress. Hosting companies provide customer support on their Hosting packages, or you can select WordPress Managed Hosting companies for the business infrastructure.
- Uptime: Uptime refers to the measure of time a server has been working and available. A high amount of Uptime duration shows server reliability and maintenance level for the WordPress Web Hosting. Before you choose a Hosting company, review sites that publish Hosting reviews provide Uptime information as well. To know more about Uptime statistics for the top Hosting companies, refer to Website Setup’s page about Uptime comparison. Moreover, before you go for a Web Host, make sure finding out Hosting Incidents track record and how often they happen.
- Technical scalability: If you create a site from scratch, a Hosting package with essential features serves well. On the other hand, as the site grows and gains more traffic, you will need to upgrade your Hosting package. Technical Scalability refers to Hosting features built to keep your site up with technological advancement, such as handling viral traffic, managing bandwidth and 3rd party apps integration. Also, Scalability means adjusting the technical interface for users having less technical expertise.
- Reputation: Reputation consists of values in the Hosting companies, which help them gain customer’s trust. We can measure Reputation by the number of users, positive reviews, Search Engine Optimization, official recommendation and integration support with advanced technological requirements such as PHP and MySQL. Also, Hosting companies providing high Uptime duration, Reliability, Security, and Support are given preference. To proceed before you buy a Hosting package, read more in-depth advice on Hosting Advice, including Hosting company’s reviews, How-To Blog Posts about choosing a perfect Hosting and Domain, and types of Hosting you need for your WordPress site.
- Security: WordPress Web Hostings as well as Traditional Hostings, On a daily basis, receive thousands of cyber attacks. As WordPress is the best Content Management System (CMS) out there, cyber threats hit WordPress’ default options. In this regard, Hosting companies that provide features to handle WordPress’ default security measures win the Hosting race. Hosting companies provide security features in the form of additional add-ons, Dedicated support and Automated rules on a daily basis. To take a step along with WordPress security, services like Sucuri cover your back, or you can start with the manual security checklist.
- PHP: We know the PHP as a General Purpose Scripting Language at the Server Side Web Development. As WordPress runs on the PHP, the target server you choose for the Hosting should run the PHP 7.2 or higher. To check the PHP version of the server, you create a small file that contains PHP code, upload it to the server, and run to find the PHP version installed on the server.
- MySQL: To create a web database that powers your WordPress site, we use the MySQL. It provides creation of Relational Database, powered by Structured Query Language, a language that is used to talk to Relational Database Management, to update and manage the Database systems. Let’s proceed with WordPress Hosting, the target server should run MySQL 5.6 or higher. In case the server doesn’t support MySQL system, the alternative approach is having the Maria DB version 10 or higher.
WordPress web hosting characteristics
- One-click WordPress installation: After you set up your Hosting account, to install WordPress, you need to choose between Two options, the manual uploading or using the Hosting One-Click Installer feature. Top Hosting companies that claim to provide WordPress optimized Hosting also offer One Click WordPress Installer that helps you setup WordPress Web Hosting without manual interruptions, automatically.
- Website transferring feature: If your site runs on a different Web Host, you can use the Site Transfer It provides transferring your site from one Hosting to another, including Data and other settings. A good WordPress Hosting company such as Siteground should provide Three options to proceed with Website Transfer; the Wizard, Manual or through Customer Support.
- Official WordPress recommendation: You can start with the Hosting having the official badge of WordPress Hosting recommendation. Generally, you can see a symbol or acknowledgment on the Hosting page, stating about WordPress recommendation. To see a list of recommended hosts by WordPress, you can see this page containing the best Hosting companies for the WordPress sites.
- Managing updates: On a regular basis, WordPress community updates WordPress with new features. As you can update your WordPress from the Dashboard, you can also use the Auto Update feature in the Hosting Control Panel. This option works automatically, as I’ve seen in the Siteground. You can also set auto updates for Plugins and Themes. Read more about setting up Auto Updating for the WordPress Themes and Plugins.
- Custom WordPress expertise and support: Hosting Companies that hold official recommendation badge claim to provide custom WordPress support. Custom support helps you solve complex problems with the WordPress, Free or Paid, charging a small fee on a package or monthly basis. Custom support includes technical assistance, finding and solving WordPress issues and providing Site Design and Development services on demand.
- Website caching: Server Side Caching improves your site performance. The Caching feature is the default juice, or you can also use the WordPress plugins to boost your site speed and performance. Website Caching consists of creating Static HTML Files for the complex PHP Scripts, so that the server serves static files instead of comparatively heavier PHP scripts.
- Speed (load time): Speed or Load Time refers to the time a server takes while fulfilling a request. You can measure the server speed by using Bitcatcha or site load time by using GTmetrix. Bitcatcha also shows response time for top Hosting services such as Siteground, Bluehost, and Hostgator. Of course, choose the Hosting that provides fast response time.
- Uptime: Uptime shows the active state of the server. Sites like Hosting Facts provide server uptime records for popular WordPress Web Hosting services. Moreover, you can find the Official Hosting website that provides checking the Uptime stats, such as Siteground Uptime Checker. Finally, choose the Hosting that offers 99%+ Uptime duration stats.
- SEO support: Most WordPress optimized Hosting services such as WP Engine, and Siteground provides SEO Tools for the WordPress sites. This page at Hosting Advice illustrates how Hosting plays a vital role in getting sites on Google. Moreover, you can consult or hire Hostingdes company’s technical SEO services for improved performance.
- Automated backups: Most Hosting companies out there run automated backups on a daily basis. Automated Backup usually comes with the Hosting packages. If you fail to find it, you can enable or buy the feature from the service. Whether you set automated backups on Hosting cPanel, or use Plugin for the purpose, Automated Backups help you restore your site in case of any data damage.
- WordPress toolkit: Some WordPress Web Hosting companies took a step forward and provided specialized WordPress Toolkit for improved performance. By using WordPress Toolkit, you can reset the admin password, move or delete installation, change the website domain and secure the admin page. The options contained in the Toolkit add more features and functionality to WordPress sites.
- WordPress security: Security is essential. Focus on choosing the Hosting that pays attention to WordPress security. During buying a Hosting plan, you can select security options such as protecting your domain data and SSL. While some Hosting companies offer security features at the time of buying a program, you can also add the said options at a later time.
How to choose hosting for your WordPress website
Finally, the fun part comes. Now you have a clear understanding of the Hosting facts, such as characteristics of the best Hosting service, WordPress requirements and the Hosting attributes related to WordPress, you can now better decide on the Hosting service for your WordPress website.
- Decide on the Free or Paid WordPress web hosting service: There are Two options to host your WordPress websites, Free or Paid. To get started with WordPress, you can go for the Free options, such as com. On the other hand, the Paid Hosting option shows your intention as a severe website developer. Though Free Hosting provides essential features, you can upgrade and avail more professional features such as Custom Domain, Email, and Live Chat Support. Let’s start with the Paid options, the best option is going for the WordPress Managed Hosting. In this regard, WP Engine and One.com play a vital role in the trade. WP Engine maintains a Solution Center for the WordPress common issues, while One.com serves more than 1,500,000 customers on board.
- Evaluate your hosting needs: Whether you want to build a site from scratch or build a professional empire, you need to take some facts into account. If you are making a simple WordPress site, you can go for the basic plan that contains a single site or domain, reasonable space, average monthly traffic, and a Free Website Builder interface. On the other hand, the Medium or Advanced Hosting plans consist of hosting multiple domains at the same hosting space, along with greater space, visits per month, and advanced website tools. Additionally, you can also consider the Server RAM Speed, Security features like SSL certificates, SSH, Backup and Restore options, Unlimited Bandwidth, and advanced developer tools such as Staging Environment.
- Select between the hosting types: Depending on the needs and requirements, you can choose between the Hosting types. Each type represents its value for the concerned customers. The first option is Traditional Web Hosting companies that provide essential features to build your WordPress website. Traditional Web Services host multiple sites with diverse technologies. Examples of such hosts include Siteground, Bluehost, and Hostgator. Besides it, you can select the Managed WordPress Web Hosting that provides features specifically for the WordPress environments. Managed WordPress Hosting services include WP Engine, Bluehost, Kinsta, Dream Host and Pagely. Depending on the needs, you can choose between Traditional Web Hosts for WordPress, or go for the WordPress Managed Hosting.
- Analyze features: A Hosting plan consists of lots of features and resources. You can build your site, consult customer service and improve your online presence. Before you buy a Hosting plan, the plan selection page contains a feature list for individual projects. After you purchase a plan, at cPanel or Dashboard, you can see a list of available options. With Dashboard options, you can manage your Hosting and Domains. To proceed, as you have decided about Managed or Traditional Hosts, go for a feature comparison. Correctly, you have got to analyze four main features of a web host, one or multiple websites, space, traffic allowed per month and website builder options. After you get an idea of what you are going to have in the plan, go for the one that suits your WordPress needs.
- Analyze reviews and make a purchase: To this line, you have covered technical aspects of a Web Hosting Service. The next part consists of looking at reviews. Reviews are online recommendations given by past customers of a web hosting company. There are lots of sites like Hosting Advice that provide Hosting reviews, feature comparison, and real-life customer experience. While looking for reviews, pay particular attention to Uptime, Cost, Speed, and Support. Hosting Facts published an updated version of 30 Hosting Reviews in May 2018. This resource provides actual experience with the top WordPress Web Hosting companies, as they claim to buy and test Hosting plans at different services over a period of 37 months.
Choosing a WordPress Web Hosting Service for your site requires going through several facts, including knowing the WordPress requirements, Hosting features related to WordPress and technical aspects of a Hosting company.
As a quick checklist, you should consider the Speed, Uptime, Automated Backups, Security and Customer Support of a Hosting company.
With that clarified, if you go for the advanced features to build your WordPress site, the best option is the WordPress Managed Hosting like WP Engine and One.com. Otherwise, going for traditional Web Hosts provides essential features for running a Business website.
Did you learn the basics of WordPress Web Hosting or find something missing in the facts? Let’s join the conversation in comments. For more information on WordPress, we have an excellent WordPress wiki on the blog.