Internal Linking refers to linking relevant content within a WordPress website. In simple words, Internal links are hyperlinks to other pages on the same Domain.
Internal links help you improve your site’s SEO. While you can use Yoast SEO for suggestions on internal linking, you can also create various categories and link relevant resources within the same categories.
Apart from SEO, internal links help readers view more of your site’s content. If you’re creating a Niche Blog, internal linking can boost your site’s relevancy, authority, and page views in the eyes of search engines.
In today’s write-up, we discuss the basics of internal linking in WordPress. You’ll learn how to create internal links using the WordPress default link tool.
Moreover, we help you improve your linking habits in WordPress. It leads your site to gain high ranking, relevancy, and traffic on Search Engines.
Benefits of Internal Linking
- Improved Site Usability and User Experience: Internal links help you naturally link relevant resources on your site, allowing visitors, as well as search engines, crawl your site correctly.
- Improved Search Engine Optimization: You cannot rank your site without inter-linking relevant resources on your website.
- Content Visibility and Exposure: An excellent Internal linking strategy ensures linking to every page on your site, helping you keep things forward in front of visitors and search engine bots.
- Website Navigation: No doubt, Internal links help users navigate your content, bookmark, and know about the essential areas of your website.
- Keyword Prioritization: When several links point to a similar, masterpiece on your site, search engines give value to such content and rank on result pages.
How to create Internal links on a WordPress website?
It is effortless to create internal links on a WordPress website.
You can select a phrase in the content and proceed to click on the (Hyperlink) icon to create a link. Alternatively, you can also start with the (Hyperlink) icon and enter the required fields in the box.
The Hyperlink dialogue box provides various options. When filling into the hyperlink field in the box, try searching the relevant resources and proceed to choose one from the shown results.
You learned how to create Internal links on a WordPress website. Above, we defined creating hyperlinks with the WordPress default (Hyperlinks) tool. The first method explains creating hyperlinks by selecting a word or phrase and clicking on the hyperlink tool. Alternatively, you can select a phrase and proceed to click on the hyperlink icon. It shows a box on the screen where you can enter the required information, including a word or phrase for the link and its destination URL.
The hyperlink dialogue box also enables you to search your site, helping you explore content and link relevant resources on your website.
Internal linking best practices
- Broken links: Make sure your site has no broken internal links. Use Broken Link Checker to scan your site for finding and fixing broken links.
- Internal links to redirected pages: Do not create Internal or External links to pages that redirect the users. Use Redirect Checking Tool to find whether a link redirects the users to another web address.
- Orphaned content: The ‘un-linked’ posts on your site are called ‘orphaned content’. For better SEO, make sure you install the Yoast SEO plugin for internal link suggestions.
- Use Google’s SITE operator: You can also use Google’s SITE operator to find out relevant content on your site. Use the site:example.com “keyword” to search for similar content on your website. You can find internal link opportunities on Google Search Result Pages (GSRPs).
- Anchor Text selection: The clickable and visible text of a hyperlink is called “Anchor Text”. When creating internal or external links, make sure you don’t set the same keyword for all the backlinks. Instead, naturally, use different variations and phrases. Read more about Anchor Text selection for improved SEO.
Your site’s SEO success depends on how much valuable content you regularly create, along with a quality link profile of your website.
There are many ways to improve your site’s internal link structure. You can use the Yoast SEO plugin for better internal linking or go for manual methods, consisting of using Google’s SITE operator and WordPress’ default linking tool.
Moreover, you can quickly improve your site’s link structure with the following Two methods.
- Create various categories in WordPress and proceed to put similar content under relevant posts, helping you easily create valuable internal links in minutes.
- Always select different anchor texts for your hyperlinks.
Last but not least, we don’t recommend using various WordPress plugins for automated internal linking. Instead, you can create valuable interlinks with manual knowledge.
If you found this write-up helpful, let us know your thoughts in the comments. Also, if you’re facing issues implementing strategies for internal linking, make sure you leave a comment below.