According to Venture Beat, WordPress powers more than 30% of all websites on the Internet.
With the constantly growing popularity of WordPress, hackers target sites for stealing sensitive information, such as financial records.
To make sure your site is safe, you need to check for security updates regularly.
Fortunately, WordPress has got you covered. The WordPress built-in feature helps owners check for package updates and avoid security loopholes.
As a result, you can manage your WordPress site safely. On the other hand, if you keep security updates out of schedule, your WordPress site may end up failing against hacking attacks.
In this write-up today, we aim at using the WordPress built-in feature for checking security updates. We’ll also discuss additional security precautions for ensuring your WordPress security.
Facts about WordPress security
As WordPress leads the pack of Content Management Systems (CMS), users need to focus on various factors regarding security, such as default configuration, software updates, and website management.
- Use strong passwords for your WordPress login, users, and directories.
- Maximize your WordPress security with plugins, such as WordFence and Sucuri.
- It is better to use a premium WordPress theme for your website. Paid themes come with security updates and premium support.
- As your site grows, you’ll need to manage your site in real time. It includes taking care of the WordPress security and performance.
- For maximum security, you can use the WordPress Managed Hosting, providing features that significantly improve your WordPress performance.
As WordPress requires technical assistance regarding security, you can outsource security testing on platforms such as Freelancer and Fiverr.
Why should you regularly check for WordPress security updates?
WordPress is an Open Source software, meaning that developers from all over the world can contribute to the WordPress platform.
With that clarified, contributions from various developers may lack security precautions.
When a new update to WordPress is announced, you should update your website for maximum security, improved performance, and extended functionality.
Above all, WordPress performs the updating process automatically. However, you can check and update WordPress on the desired schedule.
How to check for WordPress security updates?
(1) WordPress security updates page
Step 1: When logged into the WordPress dashboard, proceed to click on the “Updates” in the Dashboard menu.
You can find the said menu at the left panel in the WordPress dashboard.
Step 2: On the Updates page, you can see software packages that require an update, including the WordPress core platform, themes, and plugins.
The Updates page helps you update your website resources, including Themes, Plugins, and the WordPress core software.
Step 3: Proceed to click on the respective buttons for updating different factors.
You can also update the factors on their separate pages, such as Plugins.
Step 4: Once you found the Updates page with no call for an update, you can move on.
Updating packages helps you avoid security problems in out-dated versions of installed packages.
(2) WordPress Knowledge Base
WordPress officially manages a Knowledge Base for WordPress users and developers.
Regarding WordPress security, you can also check the Knowledge Base periodically.
To get started, proceed to land on the WordPress Knowledge Base. In the search bar, you can type in “security” for detailed information. Alternatively, you can land on this page for the WordPress security updates and recommendations.
(3) Vulnerability databases
To stay updated about WordPress security precautions, you can search vulnerability databases for the WordPress entries.
Here is a list of the best vulnerability databases on the Internet.
(1) CVE Details
(3) Security Focus
Like you search the WordPress Knowledge Base for the WordPress security updates, you can search the vulnerability databases in the same manner.
You can use the search function on vulnerability databases. Once you have a list of the WordPress entries on vulnerability websites, you can dive deep into more details, containing a description of security holes, along with how to patch and maintain your WordPress website.
(4) Online WordPress vulnerability scanners
Fortunately, you can check for the WordPress security holes as a beginner.
If you don’t prefer technical routines, you can use online vulnerability scanners for checking security updates in your WordPress website.
All you have to do is to enter your site URL in the web tools. To get started, you can consider using the following vulnerability scanners for WordPress.
(1) Sucuri Site Check: The Sucuri platform scans your WordPress for a vast range of security loopholes. Once you get a detailed report about your site’s security, you can read about recommendations and the ways that help you patch your website.
(2) Google Safe Browsing: Like Sucuri, the Google service checks for most of the common security loopholes in a WordPress website. To get started, put in your site address in the search field and press the Go button.
(3) WP Scans: If you want to check your WordPress site for the basic security updates, your best move is to use the WP Scans web tool.
(4) Scan WP: Like all the tools above, the Scan WP ensures checking your site for the basic security weaknesses, such as testing your site for out-dated software versions.
Web security scanners help you check for security updates in your WordPress website. As a beginner, you can test your site, read about recommendations, and patch your site without going through technical routines.
As soon as you find an issue, you should be patching your WordPress website.
The WordPress “Updates” page shows version updates for the WordPress core package, plugins, and themes. On getting an update notification, make sure you update the installed packages.
You can also research about WordPress security loopholes and updates. On vulnerability databases, you can find a list of security weaknesses regarding WordPress. Such platforms also contain precautions and recommendations for patching affected software.
Alternatively, you can use the online security scanners for running automated checks. All you have to do is to supply your site address and get a detailed report about your site weaknesses and updates.
Above all, getting security updates via email helps you stay focused on WordPress security. To get started, you can subscribe to updates on vulnerability databases.
If you found this article helpful, let us know by sharing the word. Also, let us know your thoughts about WordPress security updates. You can join the conversation in the comments.